Notes to Note:
New week, new month, new hope? We start the week with the hope of following through on the ‘V’ bottom reversal in play. The major indexes remain positive despite the noise surrounding the markets. We will continue with a one day at a time approach and a positive bias for now. I find myself wanting to jump on the negative bandwagon, but the charts show positive. The data is solid, not great, but enough. Until there is a shift in momentum towards the outlook the upside bias remains. Don’t fight the trend and play follow the leader.
Model Position Notes:
Below are some notes on positions in models and what we are watching looking forward:
- Volatility Index (VXX) took entry on the move in volatility. That faded on Friday as the nerves calmed over Russia. Stops are tight and we will see how this unfolds to start the week with plenty of economic data that can help or hurt the outlook short term. (S&P 500 Model)
- Crude Oil (UCO) added position in the commodity as it bounced on the worries in Russia and completed a bottom reversal pattern. It continued higher Friday and we will let this run if it continues to play out. (ONLY ETF Model)
- The EAFE index (EFA) finally reversed the short term downtrend started on June 19th as Europe (IEV) turned the corner to help the upside of the index. Tested on Thursday and Friday and leaves the downtrend off the June high in play. With the reversal off the lows we now see resistance at the 200 DMA on EFA. Getting through this resistance point ($67) is the key to continue the move off the low and any interest in owning a position in the ETF. TODAY: Watching how it responds to start the week. Honor your stops. (Sector Rotation Model)
- Emerging Markets (EEM) added to position on upside move through $45.10. We are getting solid moves higher from the country ETFs and that is keeping the short term uptrend in play. Digging in to see what country ETFs are worth watching. TODAY: Watch how we start the week of trading. Measure your stops. (Sector Rotation Model)
- Homebuilders (ITB) move through resistance and then checked lower on the new home sales for July. Still looking for the move above the $24.10 level after the failed attempt on Friday. Still holding support for now. (ONE EGG Model) This is the Sector Rotation Model as well and that allows us to replace the EGG position if we turn up better opportunity while this plays out.
- S&P 500 Index (SPY) Holding near the high on the close Friday. Still need to follow through on the upside move. We will see how that unfolds today? (S&P 500 Model)
- Small Caps (IWM) made a move back to the $115 level and facing resistance here along with the 200 DMA. The move gives another entry point for the sector if it breaks through. $112.50 was the entry point initially for the position. Stop at $112.50 or break even. Signs of the upside momentum are fading thus the break even stop. Got the move above the $115.50 but still have plenty of work to do. TODAY: Confirm the move higher with a move through $117. (ONLY ETF Model – TNA)
- China (YINN) moved lower today on the economic data and hit the stop as result of the move. This is still a country ETF to watch short term as the upside is driven by money flow versus logic. Today: Close below $33.70 would be negative for the ETF.
- Sector Rotation Model – Updates to Watch List
- S&P 500 Model – Updates to Watch List
- ONLY ETF Model – Updates to positions
Pattern Trade Setups:
- Starting new week and new opportunities?
- DBA – entry $26.50. Agriculture attempting to reverse off the lows again. Need to clear $26.92 on upside to show positive reversal and momentum.
- IEO – entry $96. cleared the 50 DMA and cup & handle pattern in play.
- XOP – entry $78.50. breakout from bottom reversal. cleared the 50 DMA. Test and go with confirmation of the downtrend line break.
- FANG – entry $85 test. if no test $87 upside momentum. broke downtrend line and cleared the 50 DMA. sector building momentum.
Pattern Trade Tracking:
- NFLX – entry $477.50. Test of upside in play and holding $470 support. Stop $455.
- UCO – entry $32.10. bottom reversal. looks ready to bounce for trade back to $34.30. Stop $31.25.
- UNG – entry $22. double bottom. consolidating near the lows and looking for a move back to the upside with $24 target. Stop $21.
- BAC – entry $16.30. breakout. Held the move higher and now looking for the follow through to $17.30 short term. Stop $15.65
- XLE – entry $98. consolidation pattern. Energy attempting to make move back to the upside. Positive break take position. Crude holding $92.70 support currently. Stop $96.70.
- ITB – entry $24.15. bottom reversal. The data is showing some signs of bottoming. There is more data out today on permits could help upside. Gapped over entry and watching for test to take the entry. Move above $24.10 offers alternative entry point as well. Stop $23.75.
- TXMD – entry $5.50. break from consolidation. In the drug sector and in position to move higher. be patient and watch the volume it sometimes falls during day. Stop $5.35.
- PCLN – entry $1275. descending triangle. good consolidation pattern set up to move higher again. Stop $1254. (Trade was the Jan 1270 calls @ $78.80 entry) HIT STOP
- AGN – entry $163.50. Test lower and move through resistance. drug manufacturer. Stop $158.90.
- ERX – entry $118.90. wedge consolidation breakout. Setting up to move higher as trade. Back to the 50 DMA would be positive. Stop $116.
- VXX – entry $27.75. back near lows on VIX and bottom support. Looking for some volatility following more than a week of peace and quiet. $28.60 trade target for position. Stop $27.75
- YHOO – entry $36.50. trading range break. Internet sector moving higher. Stop $34.40
- NKE – entry $77.70. trading range break. Watch for move higher prior to earning on 9/22. Stop $78.75. HIT STOP
- CELG – entry $89. wedge breakout. healthcare leadership short term. Stop $89.
- BTU – entry $16.05. double bottom reversal. Energy gained on news… got the follow through for entry in the trade. Stop $$15.60.
- RFMD – entry $11.50. pennant upside continuation. Need semiconductors to regain positive momentum if broad markets are to regain upside. Stop $11.
- EEM – entry $44.50. break above resistance again. upside trade still looking longer term. Stop $44 for now, but give some room if the volatility picks up.
- SSO – entry $113.50. Bottom reversal on test lower. Trade on the bounce only for now. $117 target on the trade. Stop $118
- SOCL – entry $20.15. Cup and Handle breakout. Upside back in play. Stop $20.10
- FDN – entry $59.85. trading range. Upside still in play. held up well in selling last week. Stop $61.25.
- PLUG – entry $5.10. Base breakout. Looking for the move from the base to accelerate as the trend is drifting higher. Stop $5.10
- Facebook (FB) – Testing the break higher and has held up well in the recent selling. $73.15 entry point to add 1000 shares back on the long term outlook. (see note page for history. ADDED shares on 8/7 – $73.15 — Stop $71.50
- 8/26 – pushed back towards the previous high and looks ready to break higher from the consolidation. Watch for opportunity to add to positions short term.
- Twitter (TWTR) – entry $45.50 1000 shares (last trade) This was recommended on our webinar as the next long term position we have been trading since bottoming in June. Stop is $42 for now on position and we will make adjustments as we extend the upside.