The Watch List and Play List have been updated for today. Review and execute according to your risk and investment objectives. If you have specific questions on any posts please forward them directly to Jim@JimsNotes.com.
Sectors to Watch:
- Market makes move to the previous high on Summers withdrawal from the Fed Chairman job. More speculation is what it boiled down to and the markets moved higher. To this point regardless of whatever is thrown at investors to talk the markets down, it fights back and the buyers continue to march on. When it comes to stocks it is easy to believe the bad news and be skeptical of the good news. Today starts the FOMC meeting and it may be less of an impact to markets than who the next head of the Fed. Watch and take what the market gives.
- Volatility index bounced off support at 13.8 later in the trading day Monday, and it could be a sign that volatility is just around the corner as we face the FOMC meeting. There is plenty of talk of the move being priced into the markets already. I would like to say I believe that, but if the Fed does anything outside the current thinking, and it will be hard to hit that target, look for the volatility to pick up. The bigger surprise at this point would be if the Fed delayed the cuts in stimulus. SVXY trade in the S&P 500 model has workrd well on the recent move and we have raised the stop on the position to protect the gains.
- Consumer Staples (XLP) is in position to move above the $40.80 resistance and the 50 DMA. It was accomplished in a single bounce on Monday. The open at $41.20 gapped above the entry to add the position and we passed for now. I like what we see and we will continue to watch the sector for more upside and use a test of the move as an entry.
- Healthcare (XLV) gapped above the July high and remains one of the leaders on the current move off the lows two weeks ago. Biotech (IBB) has been the primary leadership. Pharma (XPH) and medical devices (IHI) added to break above the July highs and push the broader index higher. We got the follow through on IHF, healthcare providers which pushed to a new high last week. Hold and watch.
- Technology is still attempting to take on a leadership role with a break above the $32.40 mark on the ETF. Unfortunately
Apple giveth and Apple taketh away as the stock fell another 3.1% on news relative to China telecom cutting subsidies on iPhones. The semiconductors (SOXX) is testing near the high at $66.80 and made a move on Monday, but closed below the high. Still looking for follow through and push to lead the sector. Internet (FDN), Networking (IGN) and Software (IGV) are all making solid contributions on the upside.
- The global markets bounced led by the EAFE index (EFA) moving above the May high and is looking to keep the move going with the US markets. Looking for a test relative to the big move higher in the global markets. Europe (IEV) cleared the August and May highs and testing the $43.50 level currently. China (GXC) made a big move higher, but has stalled near the $75.70 level currently. Watching for a follow through higher if we are continue the uptrend. The emerging markets (EEM) have bounced off the lows and cleared the key resistance at $40 and resting on the 200 DMA currently. Look for continuation of the upside short term.
- Treasury yields were higher at 3.87% on the 30 year bond, and 2.88% on the ten year bond. Back to challenging the resistance at the old highs. The worries are in play relative to the FOMC meeting this week. Watching to see how they respond following the announcement on stimulus cuts. If the upside resumes I want to add a position in TBT again.
- Crude oil cannot find a clear direction of late. The up and down has some to due with the Syria and some to do with supply and demand, but for the most part the move has been purely driven by speculation. Downside risk is still to be watched as speculation has a way of dissipating and stops should be tight if you are trading the commodity. Oil fell 2.1% on Monday and is trading lower again this morning. I like $95 as target on oil currently. DTO is the trade on the potential move lower if you are willing to take on the risk.
- The week is focused now the selection of the next Fed Chairman speculation. You have to love the ability of investors and the media to fixate on one topic so dramatically. Speculation is beautiful… stops in place and watch how it plays out today. Futures are currently flat.
The models are putting money to work, and for the near term, the bias is to move higher. We added as the bounce pushed some sectors through resistance on the bounce off support. Thus, we remain patient and let this all unfold moving forward. The open on Monday will be a gap higher, don’t chase stocks higher. Look for the best opportunities relative to risk.
- The S&P 500 Model. Adjust your stops and let it run for now. Watch as we approach the August highs.
- The Sector Rotation Model. Watching as the leaders start to test. Adjust your stops accordingly.
- The ONLY ETF Model. Adjusted stops and managing the risk now. Watch how today sets up relative to the Fed.
- The ONE EGG Model. Scanning looking at a play in the financials with KBE see Watch List.
Pattern Setups For Today:
- Expecting some volatility this week with the FOMC meeting and not disappointment on Monday. The intraday movement is picking up and we need to manage our risk on these trades. Don’t let you emotions overcome how to manage the positions with discipline. Give them some room, but these are trades and nothing more. Manage your stops on positions.
- SSNC – Pennant – clear the high at $38.20 for entry. Software is one of the leaders in tech.
- YNDX – Test of Breakout. Moved higher and tested now need a continuation on upside. Internet is one of leaders in tech.
- Follow up on previous trades or posts:
- YY – Breakout test. Tested the $44 breakout level on Friday. Watch the upside momentum to continue. $46.70 entry (max $47.20). Gap open and the selling in the afternoon. Still watching for entry on bounce off support.
- BZH – Breakout test. Tested the $17.85 level and looking for a move higher. $18.41 max entry. Same issue with gap open and then sold back in afternoon, watch the play going forward.
- BK – Triangle – $31.20 entry on break above the resistance. Added 1/2 position watching to see if we follow through and will add the other half. Stop @$30.70. Nice follow through on Monday.
- DBA – reverse head and shoulder – $25.50 entry on break higher. Hit the entry. Stop at $25.20. Sold back on Monday.
- C – bottom reversal. testing the break above $50.25. Looking for entry and move higher in the large banks. Entry $50.40 and Stop $49.50. Looking for a move above $51.25 resistance.
- BIIB – cup & handle. Move through $230 entry. Biotech is leading the way. Nice follow through higher. Stop $232 on move higher Monday.
- NTES – pennant. Move above $73.50 entry. Internet one of leaders as well. Nice move higher. Stop $71.
- IYR – $64 breakout from double bottom. Took the entry on the move higher. Rates are slowing and repair from the damage should move to $66.50 as a start. Manage the stop at $63.50.
- IWM – base breakout and trendline. $102.50 entry. Stop $104. Manage the stop in follow up to solid move higher. Nice gap higher on Monday, but reversed before the close. Watch how it plays out going forward.
- KOG – ascending triangle breakout – cleared $10.30 for the entry and made move higher. Entry $10.40. Stop $10.70.
- AMZN – reversal. move back above $294 on volume is entry. Oct $295 call. Stop $294 (stock). If upside move holds into trading today take 1/2 position off. Sold half of the position at the open on Monday. Sell balance if we hit the stop on stock price above.
- XLNX – Trend continuation. The test of the 50 DMA and uptrend. Bounced to resistance at $44.65. Look for continuation of the upside move with $47 target. Added $44.75. Stop $46.25. Held gains and adjusted stop.
- VECO – Base breakout – $35.35 entry. target $38.10. Added on the upside follow through. Stop $35.35. Testing
- SBUX – Test of support $70. Move above $71.30 for the entry. Added trade $71.30. Stop $74 both positions. Add to the position on confirmation of move above $72.50.
Facebook (FB) Update:
- Facebook – The sentiment towards the stock has shifted as it found support at the $22.80 level and moved to the top of the trading range before breaking higher and adding positions. The move above $24.50 was entry for position.
- Added position at $24.75 (1000 shares). Stop is $22.75 for now. A move back above the 200 day moving average and we will add to the position. (Added 1000 shares at $25.65 on break) Sentiment towards the stock short term is gaining. Consolidating at the current levels and holding. Still like the upside near term as it is gaining positive comments from analyst.
- Earning beat expectations on Wednesday and the stock jumped 29%. Here is where greed versus objective comes into play. This is a long term play and if the gains hold up today in trading the upside gain on the position is tempting. We will now have to design a way of protecting or realizing part of the gain short term. Be patient with the position on the upside as you are on the downside. Interesting link on earnings for facebook
- 8/13 – The stock broke lower from the pennant. Watch and manage your risk. As stated yesterday we are going to establish a hedge to protect the downside risk. Add a December $37 Put on FB @ $3.35.
- 9/2 – Nice bounce to $41.34 and new high. Tuesday reversed the move higher as markets react to speculation. Watching for any trading opportunities off the pullback test and then a move higher. Test of $39.30 level is the key to hold. If reverses back to the upside looking to buy 1000 shares as trade back to $42. 8/28 – Added 1000 shares at $39.95 for trade. Stop on that trade is $39.95 or break even now. If we hit the target at $42 sell half of the 1000 shares. Sold 1/2 ($42) on 8/30 for nice gain. Sold balance at $43 – 9/16.
- 9/16 – Broke higher to continue the move, but it was a result of rumors relative to China allowing Facebook to operate within the country. They currently do not, and this would be a big opportunity. Based on the research behind this rumor there is no substantial evidence to any of the reports. Thus, I would expect the run to soften as the reality takes place on no deal in China. Sold position on the selling on Monday in opposition to the market. Booked the profit and now watching to see how this news unfolds going forward. I never like a 4% decline in a stock…
NOTE: The pattern trades above are setups that I see for a potential swing trade or trade opportunities. Some will fail to follow through on the pattern, some will break and trade according to the pattern. The key is to use discipline in the trades. Entry, Exit and Target on all trades is vital. I am posting these as opportunities that I see when doing scans daily. You can use them as a teaching tool or you can trade them, either way please use discipline. All investing comes with risk. Our job as investors is to manage the risk. Keep your focus and discipline in place.